The crunchiness of this veggie stalk is one reason why people love asparagus. It’s not only delicious and adaptable to different types of dishes, but also nutritious as it contains high dose of vitamins and minerals. The hard, thick texture of this food makes it a good choice for pickles.
Image source: dutchvalleywholesale
When you buy asparagus, always pick for the fresh ones. You let this stored in a jar or a container for a few days. Hence, it’s better to look for the freshly harvested stalks of this vegetable.
Image source: save-on-crafts
In choosing jars, select a big one that you can use to accommodate as many stalks as you want. Other than the diameter, consider the height as well. It must be tall because asparagus spears shouldn’t be shorter than 4 inches. All in all, it must be a good container with a matching lid.
When you make pickles, you have the control of how spicy the flavor is. You definitely have the option of what kind of spices to use. Regardless, below is the list of ingredients to prepare and the directions to follow. It only takes 20 to 30 minutes to prepare this kind of food.
Image source: simplebites
3-pound asparagus (rinse and trimmed)
1 and 1/2 cups filtered water
1 and 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 garlic cloves (peeled)
2 tablespoons pickling salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or any choice of spices)
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (crushed)
2 to 3 jars
1. Start preparing the bath canner and jars. Bring to a boil.
2. Place lids of the jars in a pan with water and let it simmer.
3. In a separate saucepan, pour filtered water, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Let it boil.
4. Toss asparagus into a separate pan with water. Bring to a boil.
5. Transfer asparagus into a colander to drain and rinse with cold water.
6. Remove each jar from the canner. Drain and set aside.
7. Divide cloves of garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper (or other spice you desire) depending on the number of jars to use. Toss them into each jar.
8. Place some asparagus spears into each jar.
9. Pour the apple cider vinegar mixture over the asparagus in the jars. (Make sure to leave a half inch space).
10. Cover with the lids.
11. Put the jars back into the bath canner and let them sit on the boiling water for 10 minutes.
12. Remove jars from the canner and cool down.
13. Let the pickles store in a safe, clean cabinet for at least a week before serving or eating.
You can always adjust the spiciness of the chili or the sourness of the vinegar. But ensure to follow the directions on how to prepare this food. Nevertheless, it’s a healthy dish that you can always prepare within several minutes. You can make for as many jars as you want since it’s pickled, it can stay for a very long time.
If you liked this recipe please feel free to share by clicking one of the share button below.