Kimchi is a very well-known spicy dish that’s originated from Korea. There are many variants of this nowadays. You can even make your own recipe already. If you like a homemade version, this is the information you need to know.
This is not just a traditional side dish or a spicy condiment of Koreans. It’s actually a very healthy food you can add to your meal! It’s low in fat, while high in fiber. It’s also packed with lots of vitamins, which include A, B, and C.
There are studies that prove fermented cabbage release compounds into the body that help prevent the growth and spread of cancer. It also contains healthy bacteria (lactobacilli) that aids in digestion and treat yeast infection or prevent the overgrowth of Candida.
Here’s how to make kimchi.
Cooking time: 2 hours
1 head Napa cabbage
1 carrot (julienned)
1/3 of an onion (roughly chopped)
6 cloves fresh garlic
1 piece fresh ginger (peeled)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
6 tablespoons Korean chili powder (coarse)
2 tablespoons rice flour
2 green onions (sliced)
1 or 1/2 cup kosher salt
1 liter or 4 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup water
medium-large containers with seal
food processor or blender
1. Rinse cabbage.
2. Remove discolored leaves.
3. Cut into 4 lengthwise sections.
4. Remove the tough part (core) at the bottom.
5. Slice leaves into 3-inch length.
6. In a container, pour 1-liter water and mix with salt.
7. Add cabbage slices into the container. Make sure it’s fully covered with the brine.
8. Cover it with a plastic wrap. Set aside for an hour.
9. Mix garlic, ginger, onion, sugar, and soy sauce using a blender or a food processor.
10. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
11. Stir in chili powder and mix.
12. In a saucepan, whisk rice flour and 1/2 cup water. Let it simmer, and consistently stir.
13. Remove the rice flour and water mixture from the heat. Let it cool.
14. Pour rice flour and water mixture into the spice mixture.
15. Toss green onion and carrots. Mix to coat.
16. Drain cabbage from the container.
17. Toss cabbage into the spice mixture and coat.
18. In another dry, clean container, place cabbage and carrots in it. Pour a little of the spice mixture.
19. Cover with a little airflow.
20. Store in a cool, dry, and dark place.
21. Check each day and taste until it seems ripe already.
22. When it’s ripe, transfer the jar into the refrigerator and fridge.
You may also want to add some fried rice or kimchi fried rice. The ingredients are: 2 cups cooked rice, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons kimchi spicy mixture, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
1. Melt butter in a pan.
2. If you add kimchi to the rice, chop them into small pieces, and toss into the pan.
3. Sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add cooked rice, and stir.
5. Season with salt and black pepper. Mix and serve.
6. If you don’t put any kimchi during the sautéing, place rice on a plate and top it with kimchi.
You can make lightly spiced kimchi or a bit chillier depending on your taste. That’s one advantage of making a homemade kimchi dish. You can measure how spicy you want it to be. And since it’s easy to make, you can do it everytime. This is a great food to eat no matter what the season is. Since this is pickled, it can last longer without being easily rotten. Not to mention, it’s all vegetarian and healthy!
Please do like and share this amazing recipe by hitting one of the share button below.