Casserole isn’t really my cup of tea. I’m more into salad and soups, but I had a change of perspective once I tried the Spicy Root and Lentil Casserole. I first tasted this during a special dinner at one of my friends’ house. I felt like I had no choice at that time but to get a few tablespoons of it. And to my surprise I fell in love with it! You know what I mean once you taste this if you haven’t.
Let me share to you the ingredients and direction on how to prepare it. Oh, it will take only 45 minutes to cook this dish, so that’s another plus!
700g potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes or chunks)
4 carrots (thickly sliced)
100g red lentils
2 parsnips (thickly sliced)
2 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
1 onion (peeled and chopped)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry powder (or paste)
1 liter vegetable stock
fresh coriander (roughly chopped for garnish)
Pita or naan bread (to serve)
1. Prepare the saucepan. Heat oil.
2. Toss garlic and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.
4. Turn up the heat and continue cooking for 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Add curry powder or paste.
6. Pour vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat after.
7. Add lentils and stir once. Cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
8. Toss some coriander, leave a few for garnish.
9. Add yoghurt on top.
10. Sprinkle with the rest of the chopped coriander leaves.
11. Serve with Pita or naan bread.
1. It’s best to pick fresh vegetables. You must buy them within the day you plan to cook this dish.
2. If curry powder is not that spicy to you, you may choose turmeric or chili, but you must control the amount to use. Otherwise, it becomes too spicy that you won’t love the overall taste of the food. It won’t be also good if you have children to feed.
3. Aside from Pita or naan bread, you may choose others. You can make your own bread, too.
As you may conclude, it’s not difficult to prepare and cook this spicy casserole. The rich blend of potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and lentils can make you satisfied during your meal. And of course, it’s always better if it’s spicy.
If you loved this awesome veg recipe, please feel free to share by clicking one of the share button below.