Don’t just settle with your own cultural or traditional meals. Whether you’re a Westerner or an Asian, there’s nothing wrong with cooking and eating foods that you didn’t grow up with or familiar with. Besides, it’s always a great feeling to try new especially when it comes down to your stomach! That said, here are a few recipes that you can start learning if in case you haven’t cooked one of them.
Image source: vegetariantimes
#1 – Paella Primavera
Paella, just by pronouncing it, is definitely a Spanish cuisine. You won’t even need a paella pan to make this recipe. A non-skillet is enough to get started. And of course, follow the measurement and instructions with accuracy.
2 and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
6 green onions (thinly sliced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
1 cup short-grain white rice
3 cups broccoli florets
1 cup fresh baby peas
1 cup tomatoes (grape or cherry, halved)
12 pitted green olives (halved)
12 pitted black olives (halved)
pinch of salt
pinch of ground black pepper (optional)
1 lemon (cut into wedges)
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
1. Heat oil in a skillet.
2. Toss bell pepper and green onions. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, saffron, and vegetable broth. Let it boil.
4. Pour rice over ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes while covered.
5. Add broccoli, peas, tomatoes, black olives, and green olives accordingly. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, still covered, and set aside to cool.
7. Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
8. Garnish with parsley and lemon juice.
Image source: epicurious
#2 – Sauteed Swiss Chard with Raisins and Pine Nuts
If you’re still into salad, this course is a nice choice. It’s popular in Catalonia in Spain. It’s also very easy to prepare within10 minutes.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1/4 cup golden raisins (finely chopped)
1 cup water
pinch of salt
1. Wash Swiss chard properly. Remove the thick part of the stems. Chop leaves and thin stems separately.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Toast pine nuts, stirring consistently. Remove from the pan and drain over paper towel. Season with salt.
3. Toss onion in the oiled pan and stir.
4. Add chard stems (only), stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
5. Add raisins, and stir once.
6. Pour 1/2 cup water and let it simmer while covered.
7. Add chard leaves and the remaining water. Cover and simmer.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Sprinkle with toasted salted nuts.
Image source: dishingupthedirt
#3 – “Berenjenas Rellenas” or Stuffed Eggplant
Berenjenas Rellenas is a very popular and favorite Spanish food. When it comes to stuffing, you have plenty of options. Here’s one that uses couscous and some particular veggies.
1/2 cup dry couscous
2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small yellow onion (diced)
1 large eggplant (sliced half lengthwise)
1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup kalamata olives (finely chopped)
1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/4 cut parsley (diced)
red pepper flakes (crushed)
salt and pepper
crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400-degree Fahrenheit.
2. Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant and place in a cup, set aside.
3. Drizzle eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Cook couscous. See the directions on the package.
5. Heat olive oil in a skillet.
6. Sauté onion and then garlic.
7. Add chickpeas, parsley, olives, eggplant innards, and red pepper flakes.
8. Pour lemon juice and stir. Reduce heat.
9. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
10. Remove the eggplant from the oven and place in a baking sheet.
11. Check couscous if cooked. Mix into the vegetables.
12. Scoop couscous and veggie mixture into the eggplant.
13. Top with feta cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
14. Put the stuffed eggplants into the oven and bake for 3 minutes.
Are you up for this new challenge? Come on, go ahead and try these Spanish food recipes. You’d be surprised once you taste them, and worth your time, although preparing these dishes is quick and super easy.
If you found this recipe useful, Please do share it with your family and friends by clicking the share below.